This building is one of the most historic but also one of the most altered buildings in downtown Hammond. Built in 1906, the building was originally the Masonic Temple for the Livingston Lodge of free and accepted masons.
Masons have become part of popular culture in recent years after the release of Dan Brown’s novel, The Da Vinci Code, and the Disney movie, National Treasure. There are many myths surrounding the Masons. Simply, they are a fraternal organization involved in charity and community service activities.
This building was the local chapter’s meeting hall. It was also the town’s post office. The first story’s storefront appearance is an alteration. The dentils and the band of molding above the windows are original.
On the second story you can again see the popular arched windows. These original windows sit below intricate brick work.
The building originally featured another dentilated molding along the parapet with a Masonic crest on top. The bottom of the brick pilasters were also adorned with Masonic symbols.
The first floor now houses a popular dance studio. The upper floor still serves as the meeting place for the local group of Masons.