The neon sign is both eye catching and historical. Built in the 1930s, the Toggery Shop features basket-weaved brickwork against traditionally laid brickwork on the second story.
Wine colored Carrera glass frames the large storefront windows on the first floor.
Although a fire destroyed the façade in 1947, the owners chose to keep the building in a style that fits into the look of downtown Hammond.
The neon sign is distinctly art deco. Neon signs were introduced to the United States in 1923 just as the art deco movement was beginning. The height and rounded edges of the sign are indicative of art deco styling.