John Perrone built the structure in 1919 as a shop and residence. The building remained in the Perrone family until 1995.
The wood frame windows on the first story are shaded by metal rather than canvas awnings.
Although canvas has been used for awnings in the United States since the 18th century, some people preferred metal awnings because of their durability, especially in hot, humid climates. Metal awnings became popular in the South after World War II. These awnings tended to be flat to shade as much of the sidewalk as possible.
The brickwork is not as ornate as the building next door, but it does stand out against the stucco covering on the second floor. Small parapet turrets complete the buildings appearance.