This two-story brick building is one of Hammond’s oldest buildings dating from about 1905. The simplicity of the wood framed store front windows and traditional brickwork are offset by the distinctive decorations at the top of the building.
Tall and narrow second story windows are hooded by molded cornices. Above these windows is a double layer of stacked bricks almost appearing to be brackets. The effect is dramatized by the colorful paint job. None of the structures in downtown Hammond were painted at the time they were built. All paint seen in the area is the result of subsequent ownership.
Since its inception in 1978, the Hammond Historic District has worked to preserve downtown Hammond’s historical integrity regarding the painting of downtown façades.
Small black stars are the endcaps of structural tie rods which run through the buildings and were used to stabilize the brick walls. The building was originally part of a set having two twins to its left that have since become the Morgan Lindsey building.